Categories

Search

11th Month 11th Day 11th Hour Armistice Day 1918: World War I Violent Climax

11th Month 11th Day 11th Hour Armistice Day 1918: World War I  Violent Climax

11th Month, 11th Day, 11th Hour; Armistice Day, 1918: World War I and Its Violent Climax by J.E.Persico : used book

More details

$19

Availability: Brisbane Stock Immediate Dispatch

11th Month, 11th Day, 11th Hour; Armistice Day, 1918: World War I and Its Violent Climax, an engrossing account of "the war to end all wars." Contrary to the title, the Author Joseph Persico,  doesn't focus on that final day until the last quarter of the book.
First, Persico introduces us to some of the war's participants and tells us what they were doing during the fateful hours leading up to 11 a.m. on Nov. 11. Many of the fighters must have looked back at what they had been through. Persico, too, looks back at key events in their wartime experience. He illuminates key battles in which the men fought, and he recounts their first days in the trenches as well as other telling moments. One grim question hovers over all these scenes: Had the men survived years of hell only to die in the war's last minutes?

With admirable skill, Persico weaves in every facet of World War I: how it began, life in the trenches and the plague of rats. He includes the poetry and the rah-rah patriotism on the home front, which contrasted with the cynical attitude in the trenches. He avoids romantic notions of war.
  • Total Pages: 668
  • Publication Date: 2004
  • Dimensions in mm : 165 x 245 x 39
  • Cover Soft (SB) or Hardback (HB): Hard Boards with Dust Jacket
  • Comment: Large print full edition
  • Book Condition: Used book -but only slight shelf wear to boards otherwise near new
  • Weight in grams: 810

No customer comments for the moment.

Only registered users can post a new comment.